In fact, the question of “Where to eat at Smith Mountain Lake?” comes up so often with friends and clients that I felt compelled to put together this roundup of my favorite Smith Mountain Lake restaurants!
Keep reading because I’ll be sharing an awesome resource that provides a comprehensive list of restaurants at Smith Mountain Lake with address, phone and hours of operation.
Of course, deciding where to eat at SML depends on a variety of factors, most notably price, proximity, type of cuisine and atmosphere. Another consideration when you live at or visit Smith Mountain Lake is whether you plan to go by car or by boat.
Smith Mountain Lake restaurants on the water
Boating to breakfast, lunch or dinner at SML makes any dining experience more fun. My top Smith Mountain Lake restaurants by boat include:
One of my absolute favorite Smith Mountain Lake waterfront restaurants is The Landing Restaurant. Owners Bruno and Tiffany Silva offer gourmet cuisine in three distinct areas: the indoor pub, outdoor patio and beautifully remodeled indoor dining room. All offer water views. Located at Bernard’s Landing Smith Mountain Lake near marker R11.
Portside Bar and Grill at Virginia Dare Marina (channel marker R21) is commonly referred to as “the tiki bar” for its Key West vibe. Only open in season, Portside is an over-the-water, outdoor (but covered) spot with a limited menu. Try the grilled burger, Chili Lime Wings or peel-and-eat shrimp with a bucket of beer.
Also only open in-season is Drifter’s (formerly Waller’s). Smith Mountain Lake locals love this spot for its family-friendly atmosphere, live weekend entertainment and tasty food. You can dine inside or out. I love the steamed peel-and-eat shrimp, grilled chicken wings and the cheeseburger. Oh, and their signaure Key Lime Pie cocktail is yumm-0! Drifter’s is located at Crystal Shores Marina, near Halesford Bridge at channel marker R27.
Also north of the bridge near Halesford Harbour Inn (R28) is Jake’s Place. SML locals and visitors enjoy the stylish indoor atmosphere and over-the-water outdoor patio. The menu includes hearty appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers and awesome brick oven pizza. Jake’s also frequently offers live music and other special events.
Heath’s Waterfront Grill at Mariners Landing. Smith Mountain Lake has several choices on Craddock Creek, but when my husband Bob and I are up that way we like to stop in at Heath’s. The atmosphere is casual and there’s a nice outdoor patio with an amazing view of Smith Mountain. The menu is diverse and includes salads, sandwiches, pasta, steaks and seafood. By boat, it’s near channel marker C6.
Magnum Point Marina. Recently remodeled, this little spot on the Blackwater (B37) has a great reputation for lunch and breakfast (plus yummy mimosas). Enjoy friendly service and a view of the lake in a relaxed atmosphere.
Known for a fabulous breakfast with outstanding pancakes, you’ll find Lumpkins Marina and Snack Bar on the far south side of the lake (near The Water’s Edge Country Club and the boat church Smith Mountain Lake) at marker B1. Note, Lumpkins is only open in-season.
Restaurants at Bridgewater Plaza
If you’ve got the kiddos along or want to combine your dining trip with some shopping and entertainment, head to Bridgewater Plaza at Smith Mountain Lake (R28), which has plenty of parking for cars and day docks for boats.
Here’s where you’ll find:
- Moosie’s – Smith Mountain Lake favorite that serves great sandwiches, nachos and more. All indoors but with a water view and separate bar area.
- Mango’s Bar & Grill – Huge outdoor patio with large umbrellas for shade. Recently remodeled interior with indoor/outdoor bar. Diverse menu includes delicious specialty burgers.
- Pizza Pub – Appetizers, pizza, sandwiches and salads. Inside dining and a large, covered outdoor patio overlooking the lake.
- Mexico Viejo Tequila Bar –All your Mexican favorites along with fresh margaritas served at the indoor/outdoor bar.
- Ice Cream Cottage – A variety of frozen treats that can be enjoyed inside or out on the small patio. Only open in season.
- Smith Mountain Lake Coffee House – A stylish atmosphere that offers your favorite coffees and teas, as well as breakfast items, sandwiches, salads, desserts and pastries. (Try a lemon-filled glazed croissant – yummo!)
Best restaurants near Smith Mountain Lake (not on the water – Franklin County)
There are several Smith Mountain Lake restaurants off water we enjoy frequenting, too. Because we live on the Franklin County side of the lake, most of them are in the Westlake area and along Scruggs Road.
- Napoli Cowboy – The tastes of Italy and Texas collide in some delicious fare here. Great atmosphere, generous portions and a large bar area with TVs tuned to top sporting events. Oh, and craft beer!
- The Copper Kettle – A local favorite for lunch and dinner that has a comfortable atmosphere and an eclectic menu. Huge specialty salads, sandwiches, burgers, hot grain bowls and a variety of entrée meals. The Voo Doo Pasta is amazing! Copper Kettle is a good choice if you’re looking or a Smith Mountain Lake family restaurant.
- Old Oak Café – Locals love this spot where you can enjoy breakfast daily until 2 p.m. and lunch Monday-Saturday. It’s hard to choose a favorite at the Old Oak but, if pressed, I’d say the pancakes. Or maybe the Blue Ridge Eggs Benedict. Delicious!
- Hot Shots – Not just a fun spot for miniature golf and live music in-season, Hot Shots is a cool, no-frills place for breakfast made to order, as well as lunch standards. The fried fish is my favorite, followed closely by the turkey bacon pesto panini.
- The Westlake Grill – A bit of a hidden gem, the grill here offers tasty soups, salads and sandwiches in a quiet atmosphere (great for talking Smith Mountain Lake real estate). The BBQ sandwich is a favorite.
- CJ’s Coffee and Sandwich Shop – A convenient spot to grab a specialty coffee drink and a pastry in the morning or a made-to-order sandwich (using Boar’s Head meats and cheeses) for lunch.
- Homestead Creamery – At the farm market in the heart of Burnt Chimney you’ll find not only the amazing ice cream and other dairy products, but also delicious made-to-order sandwiches and paninis using fresh ingredients.home
- The Blackwater Café – A quiet spot with lodge-like atmosphere that serves salads and sandwiches, as well as upscale entree items such as pan-seared salmon, filet mignon, crab cakes and pasta Bolognese. Certified angus beef makes their burgers among the best at the lake.
On the south side of the lake (still Franklin County), it’s hard to beat family-owned Carl’s Place, which has been serving the area since 1947 (before the lake was formed). Made-to-order breakfast items hot off the grill, delicious cheeseburgers and amazing pork tenderloin, which is dipped in buttermilk and flour then fried to perfection. Definitely a cheat meal!
Best off-water restaurants at SML – Bedford County
When I’m showing Smith Mountain Lake homes Bedford County side of the lake, my favorite spots to pop in for a bite include:
- Casa D’Amici – A family-owned and operated restaurant that has been an SML landmark for more than 10 years, Casa D’Amici offers a wide range of Italian favorites in a beautiful, upscale atmosphere. I love the Chicken Florentine and Seafood Milano.
- Edo Grill and Sushi – Here you’ll find fabulous fresh sushi, an inviting atmosphere and owners who are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. The menu includes a wide range of sushi selections, plus soups, salads, appetizers and some traditional Chinese favorites such as General Tso’s Chicken.
- Hawk’s Country Store & Deli – Another great Smith Mountain Lake breakfast spot, Hawk’s is a small eatery that offers made-to-order biscuits and other morning favorites. The lunch menu includes such staples and sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs. They frequently offer lunch specials, too, such as fried chicken with macaroni and cheese.
Craving pizza? Smith Mountain Lake has you covered
There is certainly no shortage of Smith Mountain Lake pizza restaurants! In fact, you’ll find nearly a dozen around the lake. Here are my thoughts on where to get the best pizza at Smith Mountain Lake.
Near Halesford Bridge are two great options: Vinny’s Pizza and Tuscan Tavern*. Vinny’s Smith Mountain Lake (there are several franchises in Virginia) has delicious wood-fired pizzas, including specialty options. They also offer a range of other traditional Italian favorites, and I love, love, love the antipasto salad!
The pizza at Tuscan Tavern is traditional hand-tossed crust with a sauce made by owner Maria, a native of Italy. The Tuscan Tavern menu also features lasagna, Stromboli, calzone, sandwiches, salads and more. The steamed mussels are delicious! There’s a separate bar area where the beer is always cold and the TVs are tuned to a variety of sports. *NOTE: Tuscan Tavern has been closed much of this year. Please call to check the status. 540-297-8900
At Westlake, near Kroger, we enjoy pizza from Benny Adelina’s. Grab a slice or a whole pizza – they are HUGE!
Also at Westlake is New York Pizza, a no-frills spot with good prices and delicious pizza (try the margherita!), stromboli and other Italian favorites. Nearby is Joe’s Pizza and Italian Restaurant. In addition to Italian specialties, Joe’s pizza buffet is popular, as is their Sunday breakfast buffet. (I know it sounds odd, but many consider it the best breakfast on Smith Mountain Lake.)
On the east side of the lake at Downtown Moneta is Downtown Pizzeria, a fun spot that’s great for kids but also has a full bar. Hand-tossed pizza, sandwiches, calzones, strombolis and wings are all on the menu. Nearby Lago Pizza is also an inexpensive spot to grab a slice.
Mexican restaurants at Smith Mountain Lake are also plentiful
If you’re looking for a Mexican restaurant, Smith Mountain Lake offers a variety to choose from. Seriously, for a rural area like ours, it’s crazy how many options we have for Mexican food!
The menus, prices and quality are comparable at all, but we tend to frequent Cancun (tasty margaritas and SUPER friendly service) and El Toreno (make-your-own salsa bar) the most. El Rio at Westlake Corner and the aforementioned Mexico Viejo at Bridgewater Plaza are other choices.
On the south side of the lake, convenient to Lumpkin’s Marina and The Water’s Edge Country Club, is Mexico Viejo in Penhook.
If you’re looking for Mexican restaurants on Smith Mountain Lake, Los Amigos Bar & Grill at Crazy Horse Marina is a good choice. It’s in a cove just off the Blackwater Channel near Marker B-10A.
Where is the best place to eat at Smith Mountain Lake?
As you can see, when it comes to restaurants, Smith Mountain Lake has no shortage of options to please any taste and budget. Bon appetite!
BONUS: Here’s the awesome SML restaurant resource I mentioned
Join the SML Local Restaurants Facebook Group for access to an updated list of SML restaurants with address, phone and hours of operation. Restaurant owners also post specials and events throughout the year!